Our philosophy at Crestwood Middle School is to serve our youth by establishing and maintaining high standards for student athletes, that promotes academic success, personal growth, sportsmanship and leadership.
Chesapeake Middle School Eligibility Rules
To be eligible to represent your school in the C.M.S.L., you must meet the following rules:
- Be a bona fide full-time student in good standing.
- May not have reached the age of 15 on or before August 1st of the school year you intend to participate.
- If you are a 7th grader and this is the 1st nine weeks of the school, you must have been promoted or placed from the 6th grade. If you failed the 7th grade or the 8th grade, you are not eligible to participate during the first nine weeks. If you are an 8th grader and this is the 1st nine weeks of the school year, you must have been promoted to the 8th grade by passing four 7th grade subjects for the year. Two of the four courses must be core courses which are defined as mathematics, English, social studies, and science.
- After the 1st nine weeks, you must pass at least four classes to maintain or re-establish your eligibility. Two of the four courses must be core courses which are defined as mathematics, English, social studies, and science.
- You may not participate in any sport more than once as a 7th grader or more than once as an 8th grader. (VHSL Multiple Season Limitation Rule 54-3-1)
- You must complete the C.M.S.L. Athletic Participation/Parent Consent/Physician’s Certificate Form at least once each year to be eligible for participation.
- These rules apply to ALL transfer students.
Eligibility to participate in interscholastic athletics is a privilege you earn by meeting not only the above listed minimum standards, but also all other standards set by your League and school. If you have any question regarding your eligibility or are in doubt about the effect an activity might have on your eligibility, check with your principal for interpretations and exceptions provided under League rules.
Eligibility For Virginia High School League Activities
Any eighth grade student who plans on trying out for a high school sport must have a 2.0 grade point average (GPA). The grade point average is based on the student’s second semester grades or the student’s cumulative GPA, whichever average benefits the student. For more detailed information about the 2.0 eligibility rule, contact the athletic director or request a 2.0 eligibility information pamphlet at Crestwood Middle School.
VHSL Multiple Season Limitation Rule (54-3-1)
The VHSL Multiple Season Limitation rule states that an athlete cannot participate in the same sport more than once in a season. Any 8th grade student who plays softball or volleyball in middle school may not try-out for J.V. softball or volleyball at the high school. Furthermore, if an 8th grade student plays J.V. softball or volleyball in high school she may not play in middle school. For more information contact the athletic director at Crestwood Middle School.
** For additional Virginia High School League rules of eligibility, contact the athletic director at Crestwood Middle School or any local high school.**
*Athletic bus leaves CWM at 6:45 pm