Beginning the first semester of the school year, Chesapeake Public Schools will allow all students to use privately owned electronic devices to access the division’s wireless network on filtered Internet. Use of the privately owned devices is to support and promote the educational objectives of the Chesapeake Public Schools, and approval for use is at the discretion of the Superintendent and building administration.
The regulations below explain the terms under which a device will be allowed on school property. The regulations identify conditions under which students can use devices while on school property, including school buses, and/or off school property at school-sponsored events. However, no devices will be allowed on school property unless and until the Superintendent or his designee separately authorizes the presence of such devices, and only within the grade levels authorized by the Superintendent or his designee. In the absence of such guidance from the Superintendent, students will comply with Policy 9-20.1.
Adobe Reader is Required to Open the PDFs. Get Adobe Reader.
- Student use of a device requires consent of the student and the parent/guardian by signing an appropriate form indicating that the student and parent/guardian have received, read, understand, and agree to abide by all applicable policies and guidelines.
- All devices are to be used only for supporting research and education as well as promoting the educational objectives of Chesapeake Public Schools and are not to be used for other purposes unrelated to curricular goals.
- The use of a device during state or standardized testing is strictly prohibited.
- The use of a device on school property, including school buses, and/or off school property at school-sponsored events, carries no right or expectation of privacy. CPS reserves the right to monitor, review, and restrict the use of any device. The contents of the equipment are subject to review at any time, for any lawful reason, consistent with the policies of the School Division and applicable law.
- Devices used on school property, including school buses, and/or off school property at school-sponsored events, are also subject to Policy 6-36, Acceptable Telecommunications and Internet Use.
- All material on the device and accessed on school property, including school buses, and/or off school property at school-sponsored events, must comply with the educational objectives of Chesapeake Public Schools.
- All use of devices must otherwise comply with all School Division policies.
- All devices must have cellular and network capabilities disabled (turned off) during the instructional day.
- All devices must be used at appropriate times in accordance with teacher instruction. A device must not be a distraction or disruption for the student or others.
- If a device is a distraction or disruption on a school bus, the bus driver may require the device be put away.
- Students are responsible for knowing how to properly and effectively use their devices. The School Division will not provide any means of support for any device.
- Students are responsible for appropriate use and non-use of their devices at all times.
- Use of any device in the classroom is up to the discretion of the teacher. Use of any device is a privilege, not a right. The teacher may request at any time that the device be turned off and put away. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action.
- Sound should be muted unless the teacher grants permission for use of sound associated with the instructional activities.
- Building level administration will determine when, where, and how devices may be used on school property, including school buses, and/or off school property at school-sponsored events.
- Building level administration reserve the right to determine the appropriateness of a device itself or a student’s use of a device.
- Unauthorized audio or video recording is prohibited. Voice, video, and image capture applications may only be used with prior teacher permission and for a specific instructional purpose.
- Establishment of a wireless ad-hoc or peer-to-peer network using a device or any other wireless device while on school property, including school buses is prohibited. This includes but is not limited to using a privately-owned electronic device as a cabled or wireless hotspot.
- Chesapeake Public Schools assumes no responsibility in any circumstance for loss, destruction, damage, theft, or charges made on monthly statements for any device. Students will be responsible for locating any lost/stolen items and for other expenses accrued to their device accounts.
- Chesapeake Public Schools assumes no responsibility for any data contained on any device.
- Any action that is disruptive of the educational process will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including suspension and/or expulsion, and/or legal action.
- Any action that includes the initiation and/or passing on of threats against persons or property will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including suspension and/or expulsion, and/or legal action.
- Violations of these Guidelines may result in confiscation of the device, suspension, and/or termination of the privilege to bring a device to school.
- Violations may also result in appropriate school disciplinary action, up to and including suspension and/or expulsion, and/or legal action.